- Are you looking for time and space where you can develop your skills without committing to hiring out a workshop?
- Do you just want to continue making jewellery after a class or two but you not have the room or the equipment at home?
- Are you a recent graduate in need of a workshop space that you can afford?
Renting a bench could be the ideal solution for you. I offer untutored bench space and use of tools in my studio at the Biscuit Box Studios, Newcastle. By renting a bench you will get the chance to use of a professional space without having to join a class.
What is available
- One of 4 available benches with bench peg, bench skin, bench light, hand tools (piercing saw, pliers, files) in a light and airy studio.
- Use of a soldering station with handheld torches and safety pickle
- A small ultrasonic cleaner
- Barrel tumbling machines
- A dapping set
- A sandbag
- A pendant motor
- A vice
- Ring and bangle mandrels
- Letter punch set
- A number of hammers – rawhide, nylon, texture, repousse etc.
- Tea / Coffee facility
- A Prometheus Mini Kiln for silverclay and enamelling but this needs to be booked in advance since the kiln is in a different studio.
Benches can be rented on a rolling monthly contract for £100 per month for unlimited arranged visits. Alternatively you can rent a bench daily for £30.
You can have a trail day at a day rate and if you then decide to continue, this amount then will be deducted from your monthly payment.
You can also arrange a quick visit to see the studio before you book.
You will need to bring along your own materials (silver etc.) and incidentals – drill bits, saw blades, emery paper and solder. Anything you bring to the studio must be labelled with your name.
You may be able to purchase a limited amount of materials on the day. Sterling silver and copper as well as solders can be purchased at the studio and are priced per gram (with postage cost).
I can offer Mondays and Wednesdays in general. However if these days are not suitable for you then I will try my upmost to fit you in. And there is a certain flexibility on the days you come and we can arrange your booking according to your shift work, work and other commitments.
To book, please get in touch by emailing me so that we can make the necessary arrangements together. Your preferred dates and time will be discussed at the time of booking.
Studio Safety and Rules
- Wear safety glasses when you use a machinery
- Wear a dust mask when filing, sanding or polishing
- Wear an apron to protect your clothing
- Long hair needs to be tied back
- Do not wear open-toe shoes in the studio
- Do not wear clothing or jewellery that hangs-off the body that might be a danger while using tools and machinery
- Be careful when using soldering station / blowtorches / kiln
- Be careful when using hazardous substances such as acid pickle and barrel compound
- Do not enter or use the studio when intoxicated with alcohol or drugs
- Do not come to your session if you have COVID-19 symptoms or have a positive COVID-19 test
- Follow the Government’s current COVID-19 guidelines
- Register your entry by scanning COVID-19 Track and Trace QR code when you arrive
- Please use common sense with everything you do in the studio and ask help if you are unsure of anything.
All the tools, equipment and work surfaces etc. are cleaned daily with UV Steriliser Wand and/or wiped cleaned with virucidal disinfectant after every session against COVID-19 and anti-bacterial hand sanitiser is available to use. I also take lateral flow COVID test twice a week to keep you andmyself safe.
Please bring your own mask.
Terms and Conditions
Not suitable for beginners, the bench rental is not a tutored session.
Bench rental is only available for copper, silver or gold work including metal clay and enamelling.
In order to secure your place you will need to pay the booking fee.
On your first visit you will be given a studio induction to make sure that you are familiar with the tools /machines and you are confident and safe on all of them.
You will be asked to read and sign a liability waiver on your first session.
If it is four weeks in advance of the workshop date a full refund or a date change will be offered.
For cancellations of two weeks or less no refund will be offered but alternative dates will be offered.
By the instructor
If a cancellation is necessary due to illness etc – attendees will be offered an alternative date or a full refund
The studio is located in the upper ground floor of the building. There are 3 steps in the building to reach the studio and unfortunately there is no ramp facility for this level change.
Silverkupe Jewellery is situated in Ouseburn, the artistic engine-room of Newcastle, in the Biscuit Box Studios. BBox Studios are easily accessible via public transport and walking distance to many major transport links (bus, metro, train).
There are also carparks available within the area.
There are many cafes and shops around the studio where you can take your break or meet with a customer.